Working With a Freelance Graphic Designer - From a Client's Point of View

I was working with another creative freelancer a while back. I'd noticed she wasn't getting her work done on schedule so I'd sent her email inquiring if everything was okay. She first reassured me that everything was okay. A few more days had passed - no follow up on her past, and of course no progress and I am starting to get worried.

I sent her another email, and she replied with this, "As an FYI, I have a full-time freelance gig and I'm taking classes at the local college as well, so I've already got a lot on my plate. Your project is very important, so please do not fret. I understand your concern, but I'm not trying to create a panic here, I'll do my best to get the work back to you asap."

Hmm, as you might have guessed, I really wasn't thrilled with this reply. In this case I was the client rather than the designer, and I had deadlines and commitments to keep that this designer was jeopardizing by screwing around. Business people frequently comment that this is all too common in dealing with graphic designers (and it shouldn't be). Here are a couple of points you should keep in mind in dealing with clients:

  • Clients/your employer won't care about your schedule, excuses or your other commitments; it's unprofessional and a bit amateurish to bring them up. If you have too much on your plate, don't pick up the project in the first place.
  • You'll piss clients off by telling them to "relax". You might not know what kind of deadlines your clients or employer is up against so telling them to "chill out" might not be received well.
  • If you've committed to a deadline, keep it. Recognized that you have committed to a deadline and indicate it's important to you as well, saying, "asap" is a cop out.
  • I can't tell you the number of times over the years that I've met clients that were upset at their current...I mean previous designer that had poor communication skills, didn't check in and was difficult to get a hold of. If you are strong in these areas, let your potential clients know during the sales process - they love proactive, effective communicators they can rely on.

In fairness, there might have been more to this freelancer's story and excuses, but as the client they're none of my business - my business is...well running my business, so that's where my focus is. You'll find most of your clients with this perspective as well.

In case you were curious, here was my response back, "Again, I know you've got a lot going on - I feel your pain but I've kept the deadlines we agree upon before the project began. If you're not able to hit them because of other commitments I understand but we'll need to make arrangements for you to back out of the project. I'd love to work with you but we need to make sure this is the right fit for both of us."

Eventually I had to let the designer go.


Author Info:

Are you a starving graphic artist?
Are you having trouble finding clients?
Do you wish you knew what to say to clients and how to say it so you sound more polished and professional?

Learn specific approaches that will make you stand out as a freelance designer from literally hundreds of other designers just like you that potential clients can chose from. And get more clients and more projects; stop wishing and become a success now.

Visit http://www.beingastarvingartist.com now, register to take the Designer Challenge and see how you stack up against the competition, AND your 2 free complementary chapters of the Being a Starving Artist Sucks book, AND an additional bonus surprise - all for FREE. These are insider secrets from successful, money-making designers you're not going to learn in a college or online course.

Change your destiny as a freelance designer, become the successful artist you always hoped you would. Visit http://www.beingastarvingartist.com now

No comments: